Wednesday, January 29

Cafe Du Monde (New Orleans, LA, U.S.A.)

Though not one of first places I ate at in New Orleans, I thought that a post on the iconic Cafe Du Monde would be an appropriate induction of New Orleans fooding adventures.  I mean, I have been anticipating my beignets and cafe au lait at this New Orleans establishment made in 1862.  Even more excited than me was my aunt who took a road trip with me from Houston...

The classic green and white striped canvas shed of Cafe Du Monde greeted us as we arrived on a chilly night after a delicious meal.  We had to wait for indoor seats at 8pm, but the turnover is pretty quick so it's not too big of a problem.  We shared an order of the beignets, which come in threes, and I had the cafe au lait, since I don't usually take my coffee black.  On a cold chilly night, a cup of cafe au lait was exactly what I needed!  Though not espresso, their coffee is made with chicory, which is apparently an Acadian thing.  The chicory does add body to the coffee, and I would recommend spoiling yourself with some coffee with those beignets!

The beignets, which are fried fritters, have the mouthfeel of a doughnut - so if you have a hard time imagining what they are, that's what they are like.  They're covered in an insanely generous amount of powdered sugar, which completes the deliciousness that is a beignet.  They're actually quite filling, so be prepared to share an order of three, or go on an empty stomach!
Price: $5/person | $
Rating: 4.5/5

Cafe Du Monde (Website)
Cafe Du Monde (Facebook)
800 Decatur Street
New Orleans, LA
#: (504) 525-4544
Tips: Bring CASH! Open 24/7 except Christmas and New Year.  Satisfy your sweet-tooth at any hour!
Café Du Monde on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment