Sunday, April 21

Shark Fin House (Melbourne CBD - Chinatown, VIC)

Our last restaurant destination was Shark Fin House, a large, established dim sum restaurant located right in the heart of Melbourne Chinatown.  I was a bit hesitant about this place, as it has mixed ratings, but since it is one of the better known dim sum hubs, we decided that this was the right choice for our last brunch in Melbourne.

Me and Jo were interested in different items, which made it a bit difficult to share, as each item comes usually in twos or threes.  Between the two of us, we were really full from all the food we ordered!  Dim sum items are also usually quite filling, so it's best to go in a group of more than two to sample all the items.  Dim sum is essentially Cantonese tapas - so bigger groups are definitely better.

I won't bother describing all the dishes, but the tofu skin wrap with veggies (first picture) was one of the best dishes I had.  My favorite item in Dim Sum, the taro paste flake with meat filling (芋頭酥), was actually quite good here!  A lot of times, it is either over-fried, or the filling has a funny aftertaste, but it was not the case with this one!  The dan ta was also pretty good... and it had a surprise filling!  We had the large sized dan tas, which come in twos (while the small ones come in threes), and I'm assuming only the large ones have this filling.  We had no idea the difference, but after taking nibbles, I finally figured out that it was durian!  Jo, being Cantonese, was a bit surprised, as she had never had durian dan tas (and neither have I), but we decided that we could see the appeal.  Their dan ta had a classic tart crust, as opposed to the flaky one which I tend to like more, but it was still a treat!

The service was just decent, with the food being the same.  None of the dishes were super awesome (although I did like the taro paste flake), but all of them were very standard, with nothing I could complain about!  I don't know if I would recommend this place, but it's definitely not a bad one...
Tofu skin wrap with veggies
Shangainese dumpling (小龍包)
Siu Mai (燒賣)
Taro Paste Flake with Meat Filling (芋頭酥)
Dan Ta (蛋塔)
Price: ~20AUD/person | $$
Rating: 3.5/5

Shark Fin Group (Website)
131 Little Bourke St.
Melbourne, VIC 3000
#: (03) 9663-1555
Shark Fin House on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment