Friday, April 12

MoVida Bar de Tapas (Melbourne CBD, VIC)

MoVida de Tapas, a trendy Spanish, was the most anticipated meal of my entire Melbourne expedition.  One of the top restaurants on both Yelp and Urbanspoon and recommended by a fellow foodie, I decided that we couldn't miss out on this restaurant!

The ambience is trendy and casual, and a bit romantic due to the dim lighting and decor.  They do a good variety of drinks, but we ended up going for the red sangria!  Not bad, and they didn't skimp on the wine.

We all tried several different items from the tapa menu, and shared three of the raciones, and were plenty full after all the food was gone.  I had the Lengua (3.5), or ox tongue, which was very tender, but it definitely wasn't the highlight of the night.  The red pepper broth wasn't really anything special - but maybe that's just me.  I also had the Croquetas de Choco en su Tinta (4), the squid ink croquette with cuttlefish, which may have been my favorite dish of the night!  I'm really into the squid ink dishes at Spanish places, and this one didn't disappoint!  Perfectly fried and flavorful but not overly salty (which tends to happen with squid ink dishes), the croquette oozes squid ink when you bite into it.  I know it doesn't sound all the lovely - especially when it makes your teeth black - but it really was quite delicious, especially with the contrasting texture of the cuttlefish.  The last tapa item I had was the Buenelos de Bacalao (4), the deep fried salt cod and potato frittata with pil pil.  That is one long name!  Being as unhealthy as I am, I went for another fried item - and I didn't regret it!  Again, fried to perfection, this potato frittata was a great texture with a soft and flavorful interior contrasted with the fried exterior.  It really is hard to describe, but this was another one of the favorites of the night!

For the raciones, the first item we shared was the Bistec Tartar de Wagyu (18.5), a spicy steak tartare of wagyu beef.  This was my favorite out of the three raciones!  The girls were a bit hesitant about this dish at first, but I think it was well received - and well, I loved it!  The beef could have possibly used a bit more complexity in flavor, but I suppose the dish highlighted the quality of the beef.

We also shared the Carrillera de Buey, a braised beef cheek in Pedro Ximinez on Cauliflower Puree (23.5), which was recommended to me by my friend.  The beef cheek was tender and flavorful throughout, and although the taste of the Pedro Ximinez was a bit overwhelming to me, the cauliflower puree balanced it out.  The Codornices con Kikos (18.5) was our last dish of the night.  A boned and roasted quail with toasted corn and jamon, the dish was just fine.  The texture of the quail was not my thing, and the rest of the dish didn't really stand out.  The presentation was beautiful, but it just wasn't memorable.

The service was great, even with the number of people at the restaurant.  They had to rush us a bit at the end of the two hour dining period due to the inflow of customers, but overall a great dining experience.  I would definitely return or try out their bakery!

BISTEC TARTAR DE WAGYU
LENGUA
CROQUETAS DE CHOCO EN SU TINTA
BUNUELOS DE BACALAO
CODORNICES CON KIKOS
POLLO ESCABACHE AL MIGUEL

























Price: 45AUD+/person | $$$
Rating: 4/5
1 Hosier Lane
Melbourne, VIC 3000
#: (03) 9663-3038
MoVida Bar de Tapas on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment