Thursday, April 18

Mamak (Melbourne CBD, VIC)

The ever so popular Mamak has arrived in Melbourne (for a while now) - and well, things aren't much different in Melbourne!  Packed at 2pm when we arrived for a late lunch, we were quickly seated, which is unusual for this place from what I've seen.

I'm not familiar with Malaysian food myself - so I went for the Kari Ayam lunch special (11) - the first item on the lunch menu.  The dish is a chicken with a Malaysian style curry and potatoes.  I actually wasn't sure what to expect, and the dish ended up being a bit too spicy for me, with the kind of spice that just escalates.  I can't say this is my favorite type of curry, but it wasn't bad or anything - just a bit overwhelming and acidic for my taste.  Spices other than curry are more prominent than in other types of curry, as well as less creamy than other curries.

The Teh Halia (3.5), a 'stretched' frothy sweet (milk) tea, was really delicious! The specific one was infused with ginger, as I'm a fan of sweet ginger tea.  Although I was a bit apprehensive, it was really good!  The ginger can be a little overwhelming if you're not a big fan of ginger, but for me, the drink was better than my food.  I would definitely recommend trying out the Teh Tarik if you're not a fan of ginger.  If not, you can just watch them 'stretch' the tea in the kitchen. 

The service was satisfactory, and the place was a comfortable place with a simple and modern interior - and similar to the other Mamak chains, I believe.  Their rotis look crazy (presentation-wise) and delicious.  If I'm ever back in Melbourne, I'd like to get one!  After all, they did win the Good Food Under $30 Award this year.
Kari Ayam Lunch Special (11)
Nasi Lemak with Chicken Curry (11.5)
Price: 15AUD/person | $$
Rating: 3.5/5
Tip: They're open till 2am on Friday and Saturday! 
366 Lonsdale St.
Melbourne, VIC 3000
#: (03) 9670-3137
Mamak on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment