Sunday, February 24

Pizzeria Mozza (West Hollywood - Los Angeles, CA)

[[Back to California]]

My last stop before reluctantly catching the plane back here to Brisbane was a trendy, popular pizza 'parlor' named Pizzeria Mozza.  On a Monday night, Pizzeria Mozza had a thirty minute queue, which isn't surprising, since this well established pizzeria is the creation of celebrity chefs (including Mario Batali).  The wait was a bit annoying since there is nowhere to stand  - but at least the wait gave us some time to make a wise decision as to which pizza to eat for my last supper!

We decided on the brussel sprouts with proscuitto bread crumbs (12) as an appetizer, which turned out to be quite a bit as an appetizer.  It was doused in an olive oil and some kind of vinegary sauce, which was a bit too oily and sour for me.  I wasn't a big fan of the brussel sprouts, so maybe a different appetizer next time.  We decided on the fennel sausage, panna, red onion, and scallions pizza (17), which I liked better than the other pizza - the finnochiona salame, mozarella, tomato, and Fresno chilles (17).  The fennel sausage was the perfect flavor, and much better than the fennel sausage I had at Bottega Louie.  The scallions made the pizza a bit too sweet, but it was still good.  The pizza crust was crisp, yet chewy, and was a thin crust, which is my favorite, so I really enjoyed the crust, even if the oil/cheese made the pizza a little soggy.

The Butterscotch Budino with sea salt and rosemary pinenut cookies (10) was the perfect ending to our dinner, as it was smooth, very butterscotch-y, and just pure goodness!  I really liked the sea salt on top, which balanced out the (over) sweetness a bit, and the cookies were also delicious.  I really enjoyed sitting at the bar stools right in front of the pizza assembly, which allowed me to watch all the dough throwing!  That was probably the best part - watching them assemble the delicious pizzas and baking them in the brick oven.  Another detail I liked about Pizzeria Mozza was their placemats - they had several different designs on them, and mine was my favorite (see below).  The light was rather dim, so my pictures are once again... eh. =P

P.S.- Make a reservation!!!
Fennel Sausage etc. Pizza
Wine rack/etc.
Pizza assembly!
Price: 20USD/person without drinks | $$
Rating: 4/5

Pizzeria Mozza (LA Website)
641 N. Highland Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90036
#: (323) 297-0101
Pizzeria Mozza on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment