Monday, January 14

Bruxie (Orange, CA)

I've decided to take a break from my Taiwan posts (as far behind as I am) and make an update on my recent trip back to Los Angeles.  I hadn't intended on coming back to the States to visit until next year, but with some coaxing from friends and family, and a need to get away from Brisbane for a little bit - I spontaneously flew in to L.A. a few days ago!

One of the places that have frequently popped up via Instagram and Facebook is Bruxie, a gourmet waffle sandwich shack in Old Town Orange that serves waffles, fries, sandwiches, as well as shakes and frozen custard.  Known for their waffle sandwiches, Bruxie serves a variety of freshly made waffles with sweet fillings, as well as some savory, like the Buttermilk Fried Chicken and Waffle.  The chicken and waffle combination has always been sort of a mystery to me but I gave it a try anyway since it was recommended to me.  I was delighted to find a flavorfully battered piece of tender chicken in a thin crunchy waffle, with the chili honey being light and not too overpowering along with the cider slaw.  The combination was truly delicious - possibly the best chicken and waffle combination I've had, actually.  My first bite was a bit sweet (especially for a non sweet-savory food fan), but it still left me wanting more!  We also got the Waffle Cut Fries (2.95), which were so fresh and crunchy I pretty much just devoured them.  Not a single piece was over-fried, soggy, or left uneaten. ;P

We also had the Lemon Cream and Berries waffle sandwich (6.5), which was also really delicious.  I may be a bit biased for my love of lemon flavored desserts and general love for berries - but the lemon cream really was perfect!  For some it may be a bit too tart, but I thought it was the perfect balance between sweet and sour, along with the strawberries and blackberries.  The waffle was the same crunchy waffle as the sandwich, and didn't actually get soggy from the lemon cream, which was definitely a plus.  I would definitely recommend everything I had, and needless to say - I'd like to go back for more!
It got a little chilly sitting outside (the only kind of seating they have), especially since their fire heaters don't work well... but other than that, this is a must-go!

Price: $10 pp | $
Rating: 4.5/5

Bruxie Menu
292 North Glassel St.
Orange, CA 92866
#: (888) 927-8943
Bruxie on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment